Monday, May 13, 2013

And some updates...

I have unofficially graduated!! :D

My FYP report was handed in about a week ago and I have been chillaxing and having a ball of time since then.

Here's our final report and my lovely team-mates for FYP together with my supervising prof (he's freaking tall!! haha). We had disagreements and we did quibble once in a while. But it was still an awesome time doing this one whole crazy project with them. I believe all of us have improved our Excel skills tremendously, all thanks to this FYP which required us to deal with a spreadsheet with almost 1,000 columns.


There is this wall in UTown where students can write down their random thoughts on what they wanna do before/after they graduate. I think it's a pretty cool idea and we read a lot of crazy things written by students who were probably trying to de-stress during the reading week. Here's some examples:




 This is on the "before graduating, I want to..." side:
 And this is on the "after graduating, I want to..." side:

How cliche to end school like this but oh wells, there's gotta be some kinda proof that I've survived four years of uni life. ;)

And what have I been doing lately? Eating of course! Hahaha

First there was Durian Fiesta at Goodwook Park. The full review can be found at Gladys' blog. I'm too lazy to type anything. Here's just a picture of what we ordered:
From top to bottom: Durian Mousse Cake, Durian Tartlet with Nuts, Durian Strudel and Durian Crepe
Personally, I liked the Durian Strudel the most as there's a good mix of the crispy pastry and the fragrant durian. Mmmmmm~

And then there was Mia's birthday celebration at Saveur. They opened a new branch in Far East Plaza! :)

Then I finally got to try Ampang Yong Tau Foo along East Coast Road with Gladys. Again I'm not going to review this place. ieatishootipost (and perhaps loads of other reviews out there) did a pretty neat job of that. I am really being lazy. Haha. So here's just a photo of the pretty babe with the food :) Oh I do like their sour plum drink a lot though. Not too sweet and not too sour.

And then there is this Singapore style hoptpot, JPOT, at Tampines 1 that I tried with Mia. Their menu is pretty standard but they have a high tea set for $9.80+. It comes with a soup base, choice of rice/instant noodle/vermicelli/laksa noodle/pho, vege, crab stick, luncheon meat, choice of marinated beef/pork/chicken, two small cheese sausages and two prawns (which were really fresh). Oh and a tiny amount of Enoki mushroom!
I chose the JPOT Superior broth as the soup base while Mia chose Silky Porridge, which I have never seen in other hotpot places. Personally, I'm not a fan of porridge but surprisingly when I tried it, it was quite tasty. The downside however, is that it'll get really goo-ey after a while and it probably sticks to the base of the pot as it tasted burnt. Yucks..
Both Mia and I love meat! And as you can get from the photo above, the amount of meat given in the set is barely enough and so we ordered another plate of marinated pork. :) We also tried this thing called fish noodle. The name was interesting and we had no idea what it was and so we ordered it. It's that whitish, triangular thing on the plate. Turns out, it was just fish paste filled in a plastic bag, with a small hole that the tip for us to squeeze the paste out into our hotpot and form long strands like noodles. =.=
There was nothing exceptional about its taste but I have to give it to the restaurant for coming up with such a creative way of selling fish paste. But we realised that the hole at the tip was too small and it took us too much effort to squeeze out every bit of the fish paste. And so, we ended up opening the originally tied-up end of the plastic bag, scooped the fish paste out using our spoon and plopped them into our soup base. We had fish balls instead of fish noodle. Haha.

Another new place that I tried was Brussels Sprouts at Big Splash @ East Coast Parkway. It's a Belgian bar and bistro with pretty good mussels. :)
Their mussels come in small metal pots and there's a variety of gravy/soup that you can choose from in which the mussels are cooked. I tried Mariniere (onion, parsley, butter, celery, white wine, cream) and In Blanc (same as Mariniere less the cream) and it was awesome! No photos though as it was late at night. They have some special package prices from 10pm-12am for two buckets of mussels. And the fries is free flow!! So boys can definitely have a full meal here. Haha. Unfortunately I didn't get to try their wine or beer as the guys that I went with have work the following day. I would probably visit the place again and try mussel with their Belgian beer. :3

No comments:

Post a Comment